Although these days I use Color solely as a working colorist (and I’m busily moving my suite over to Twitch postproduction here in NYC), I did write the manual for versions 1 and 1.5. I guess old habits die hard, because with the new update I couldn’t help taking a look at the Apple Support knowledge base to see if there were any new and interesting tech notes, and then making a list.
I’m glad I did, searching for “Color 1.5” in the title revealed the following issues that I hadn’t known about:
- Color 1.5.2: Video Output of REDCODE material clips at 97 IRE
- Color 1.5: Projects created in previous versions of Color may not send to Final Cut Pro as expected
- Color 1.5: Rendering PAL material to ProRes 4444 introduces a gamma shift
- Color 1.5: Motion Tab adjustments on Freeze Frames in a Final Cut Pro sequence are not carried over to Color
- Color 1.5: Trimmed and speed changed clips render to DPX/CIN (Cineon) with extra frame at beginning and end
- Color 1.5: Avoid mixing RED 4K media and regular NTSC material
While I’d rather not have any bugs at all, I’m glad Apple saw fit to mention these issues in the support library. Especially the RED issues, what with a few RED projects that might be coming my way in the coming months (although I doubt I’ll be worrying about the “mixed 4K and NTSC material” bug any time soon).